[linux-dvb] Re: mplayer DVB speed II.

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 12:23:41PM +0100, Nico wrote:

> did you run
> mplayer -cache 4096 dvb://
>
> as I previously suggested? Does it help?

yes, I did, it does not make any difference
(except for slower startup until it caches the data)

> 12% from the file?

from /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

> The TS demuxer reassembles packets until the completion of a full PES
> (which may be very big)
> but doesn't use temporary buffers, so it shouldn't be so slow; besides
> it parses tables (if present),
> which ts_es_demux doesn't do.
> Can you run the same test on a dump without tables and see if  mplayer
> is faster, please?

yes, but only after christmas (I'll try all sort of ts, pes, and ps
streams).
After all, it is possible that the effect is just visual, because xine
drops frames more intelligently (mplayer runs with -framedrop,
with -hardframedrop it segfaults after few seconds of playing)

> >for reference, all the test were done on Canale 5 (Hotbird),
> >PII Celeron 266 MHz, Skystar2 rev. 2.6B
> >
> >Additional, non related note:
> >I also tried to save the whole transport stream
> >(with dvbstream -f ... 8192 -o >file.ts), the result was terrible,
> >extracted video streams were unwatchable (full of errors).
> >Later experiments revealed that I can save about 2 high resolution
> >streams, or about 4 lower resolution ones before errors start to be
> >too grave. Perhaps it has to do something with PCI bandwidth
> >(saving it not into local HDD, but through a PCI network card
> >roughly halved the upper limit for bandwidth that is possible to
> >save before errors show up)
> >
> >Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :-)
> >

> do you mean that your card is unable to keep the rate or that only
> mplayer can't play
> the full TS stream without corruptions (and that xine can) ?

that was not mplayer related - the card (or perhaps PCI bus) cannot keep the
pace, the saved stream is corrupt and does not play neither with xine
nor with mplayer

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |