[linux-dvb] Re: More V4 Demux API Q's

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> It seems that if we want to match the API up with the hw caps we need
> to have multiple section filters on one fd, but only if they are
> on the same PID. We would also have to disallow multiple filters
> for the same PID on different fds.

> But I know that this would be a pita for desktop Linux users, it's
> just too inconvenient if only one application can read PAT/PMT at
> the same time...

Why couldn't we implement both methods, in which case we give everyone the
freedom that they require?  It may be easier to have only one option at
compile time with a #define depending on the underlying h/w.  Could you
envisage anyone wanting to use both methods at run-time?  This would,
however, make the underlying kernel code v. tricky and bloated and would
probably not be terribly efficient.

Just my thoughts at the moment...

Later,

Rob : )