[linux-dvb] Re: 1.0.2 Release?

Johannes Stezenbach schrieb:

Please don't do that.

I've already created a new dvb-apps CVS tree into which I want to
move the the userspace stuff from the old "DVB" tree.

The goal is to separate drivers and libs/applications into
two separate packages, mainly because the DVB drivers are
already shipped with 2.6.x so you don't need to download them
again.

I also have no plans of doing a DVB-1.0.2 release, once
dvb-apps is populated I would rather release both a dvb-kernel
and dvb-apps package and officially deprecate the old DVB tree.

I think Johannes is right here. Running two packages including driver and apps doesn't make any sense but a lot of work for maintaining and syncing both branches.

I agree here to have a kernel-related driver package and a user-space apps-package. That system also works well for the ALSA-guys.

The drivers should be developed in DVB-kernel CVS and stable releases should be branched off (just take the current code in CVS and do some bug-hunting). The stable code should be released and sent to kernel.org.

So you get the drivers with the kernel and you can update in case driver-CVS or -release solves some bugs you have in the kernel.

This would increase development speed and reliabitily of the drivers.
I think the problem of syncing both branches is one of the reasons for the bugs and the slow development of the DVB-drivers.

Rene