[linux-dvb] Re: US, Transport Stream - what receiver?

Greg Herlein wrote:
I want to get a DVB-S FTA receiver that will work in the US (ie, 120VAC) that I can get access to the actual transport stream with... and that has linux support for that access method.

Note that hunting for new satellites is not on my list - I'll likely point it a good bird and leave it for the near term.

I saw this:

http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/index.html#receivers

talks about the DVB-98 Equipped Nokia MediaMaster (9200, 9500 or 9600) - and supposedly, it has a SCSI interface that a Windoze program exists for to grab TS streams from.
Is there linux support for this device?

Is there a better option that I can use - cheaper is better too, not just technologically - that I can use?
(I am developing some code on transport streams, and I want to both get some test streams as well as get more TV channels).

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Hi Greg,

depends on what you want to do with your "receiver". The d-box you were talking about is a stand alone set top box with a custom made firmware, to enable a connection to a pc. You should go for this solution if you intend to be able to watch tv _without_ turning on your pc. I have no experience with these, but I know that many people are using d-box 1 for ts-recording.

Nevertheless if you only want to record some transport streams and watch tv with your pc running you can save lots of money and buy some cheap dvb card, i.e. Hauppauge Nova, some Technotrend card or Technisat Skystar2 (i.e. Techsan SKY2PC). (Note that you'll need a reasonable fast pc if you buy a card without tv-out.) Read the ML to find out which one suits your needs best.

Hope that helps,

Niklas