[linux-dvb] Re: Fwd: vdr reports broken video stream with dec-2000t

> sorry to write directly, but this mail seems to be too big for the ML.
>
> I hope I didn't make any newbieerror witch results in this errors.

No problem.  The logs don't reveal anything out of the ordinary, so I'm cc'ing
this reply to the list in case anyone else has come across the problem.

> ok its me again, but I am hardworking on my videostation and there are many
> problems occuring. Sorry for this long mail
>
> Each time I start vdr it shuts down in emergeny because of a broken video
> stream.
> The same happens with xine or libxine. ttusb_dec reports many controls. You
> can see it in the attachement.
>
> Mplayer works fine

Hmm, vdr certainly starts a lot of section filters, which is all that activity
you're seeing.  Those contain EPG and channel information and such things.
I'd say that was the problem if it was just vdr.  Since it's xine too, I'm
wondering if the apps aren't being fed quickly enough.  mplayer keeps quite a
large buffer, which might be why it works ok for you.

No matter how big I set the video buffers on xine it seems to keep the
buffering pretty borderline for dvb, so much so that I turned off the on
screen message since it sticks on 'Buffering... [100%]' all the time.  I'd be
interested to know if this is true for any other dvb devices.

It's probably worth trying with the device plugged directly into the back of
your machine, if it isn't already, so that it doesn't have to contend with
and other usb devices you have.

I've no experience of vdr (no hardware mpeg decoder - does it still require
one?), but if it is possible to tell it to record without displaying the
video, please try it out.  That will isolate whether the problem is with
feeding the player quick enough, or with usb bandwidth (I'm not sure how many
sections filters can be handled whilst also streaming video).

Cheers,
Alex