[linux-dvb] Re: Problem with Nova-T & 2.6.1

> Hi
>
> I've been reading various things about how to get a DVB card working,
> and am know quite confused as to what is actually required. I would like
> to avoid having to compile a driver if at all possible (from reading around
> it seems that the 2.6 kernel should support my dvb card without any other
> patches, is this right?).

Hello

At least my Nova-T worked with Fedora C1 + 2.6.1-1.37, I haven't tried it with
newer kernels.

> I have installed Fedora Core1, with a 2.6.1-1.61 kernel (from the Fedora
> Core2 development tree).

I did the same

> Can anybody suggest what I should be 'modprobing' to get the card (&
> frontend) recognised. I assumed that a modprobe of tda1004x (after the dvb
> & budget bits are loaded) should be enough, but the tda1004x module isn't
> found.

My card is nova-t pci, version 923.

I'm loading the modules in following order (I also have analog TV card, which
uses bttv so I have some of the modules needed loaded already):

dvb_core
saa7146
budget-core
budget
grundig_29504-401

List of other modules that are loaded too (for analog TV-card):
tuner
tvaudio
msp3400
bttv
video_buf
i2c_algo_bit
btcx_risc
i2c_core
v4l2_common

After I have loaded the modules, dmesg shows:
saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb'.
saa7146: found saa7146 @ mem e2f91000 (revision 1, irq 5) (0x13c2,0x1005).
DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI).
TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI adapter 0 has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:20:4d:8e
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Grundig 29504-401)..

Only thing that you need, is dvb-apps from CVS. From dvb-apps you can find
scan and tzap.

scan: you can scan your channels and create channels.conf file for other
applications
tzap: you can tune to some channel with this

In addition, you can get the dvbtools from dvbtools CVS
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvbtools/),
where you can get:
dvbtune: you can scan your channels and do other things that I dont know
anything
dvbstream: you can pipe your audio and video stream to file or to some player
(mplayer).
You can use mplayer or xine directly without dvbstream by defining dvb:// to
the command line (mplayer dvb:// -tv lots-of-options).

Someone should verify that these "instructions" are okay, I'm not sure about
anything...

BR
Kimmo Koivisto