[linux-dvb] Re: wintv DVB question

Danny Van Elsen wrote:

a question concerning my WinTV 350 Hauppauge PVR... it has an onboard MPEG decoder an encoder, so what I
I think your problem is that this device is not a digital TV device. The 350 receives the analogue TV singal and then compresses it to MPEG2 which it then sends to the PC. This is not the same thing as a true DVB card which receives the MPEG2 stream from a digital TV transmission.

If you want to understand the difference you could take a look at a presentation I did a few months ago explaining some of the differences between analogue and digital systems. http://www.jburgess.uklinux.net/oxlug/oxlug-vdr-mk5.html

You seem to be trying to get it to work with VDR, so the vdr list might be a better place to ask the question. I think your device might be supported with the analogtv plugin.

Jon