[linux-dvb] Re: Couple of frontend questions

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
Hi, the first version of the new frontend stuff is coming along nicely. I have a couple of remaining questions:

Why is there an FE_RESET ioctl immediately after the FE_SET_FRONTEND in dvb_frontend_recover.. surely the frontend code itself should take care of performing a reset if it needs to?
FE_RESET is a slightly misleading name for this command, it is intended
to reset the IRQ bits that some frontends have. In most frontend drivers
this is unused.

You had to do this right after setting the parameters in order to get
the error statistics clean as soon the control loops settled to stable
parameters.

What exactly is FE_CAN_CLEAN_SETUP about? I can see the first few times, it causes the frontend loop to issue an FE_RESET.. but not in the later times... what _exactly_ is this bit meant to mean?
Klaus reported once a broken frontend based on the ves1893 that required
active maintenance right after tuning if you wanted to aquire a lock -
setting this bit in the capability flags enables continous FE_RESET
calls to clear the internal status bit of the ves1893 right after
tuning. I believe no other frontend thenafter ever needed something like
this.

Holger