[linux-dvb] Re: High BER's & Glitching with 2.6 kernel, better with 2.4 and 1.0.0-pre2 (Nova-T)

On Thursday 26 February 2004 19:30, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Having used this driver for a few days now, I still don't think that
> > things are quite right.
> >
> > It's harder to gauge now, since the numbers for signal level / bit error
> > rate are now pretty comparible between the 1.0.0-pre2 driver and the
> > 1.1.0 version (and 2.6 kernel version) of the driver with the buf[3] fix.
> >
> > Although the numbers are comparable, watching recordings from one of the
> > weaker 64QAM mux's, made with the new drivers, do show a lot more
> > glitches in the mpeg stream.  Going back to the old drivers does seam to
> > reduce the occurences of glitches.
> >
> > As I say, this time, without numbers to back up my suspicions, it's hard
> > to be sure, but it does seem to be a difference between a glitch every
> > couple of minutes, and a couple of glitches per half hour.
> >
> > Any more suggestions?
>
> Wrt the grundig_29504-401 FE driver, I have no idea what to do, so
> I can only recommend you stick with the one that works best.
>
> If you want you could try if the dvb_frontend.c changes in CVS
> done by Andrew work better for you.

Hmm, I dunno if it'll help; at the moment, I've tried to make it have exactly
the same behaviour, but with the nastier bits sorted, and a fast scan mode
added.

I've not used a grundig 29504-401 card for ages now; I do seem to remember
that the tda10045 ones gave us a big step up in reliability, but whether
thats a linux driver issue, or just the hardware itself, I don't know.

Do you have the same problem under windows? Thats easiest way to determine
where the problem lies.