[linux-dvb] Re: WinTV NOVA-T needs reboot.

--On den 12 maj 2004 20:38 +0100 Timothy Baldwin <T.E.Baldwin99@members.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

My WinTV NOVA-T (uses the budget-ci ) won't work (no data
from /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0) under Linux 2.6.4 or 2.4.25 until the driver
is  loaded (including the frontend (tda1004x) driver), the system is
rebooted,  and the driver loaded again. Any ideas on how to fix or debug
this?
This sound not too unlike the problem I have, but in my case it
works at first driver load after boot (it sometimes takes a few
tunings back and forth to get it going, but at least it hasn't
hang), but it very seldom works if I just reload the driver,
I typically have to _cold_ boot, from power off, to reliably
(or at least most of the times) get it going again.

This is a new problem since a few weeks for me, before it
only had the need-to-tune-a-few-times-at-boot problem.

This is with both DVB and dvb-kernel-build2.4.

I have stripped down the frontend driver to a bare minimum
at load to see if it is the initialization code in the driver
that makes it hang, but that doesn't seem to be it.
Maybe it is something with the SAA7146 handling.

Another interresting phenomenon is that if I only load
this frontend driver, the first i2c read from the chip fails
(and the chip therefor won't be identified unless you change
the driver).

Even if your problem seems somewhat different it still could be
related.

I have given up probing tda10045 registers for now, since the
driver seemed to worked for everybody else I have ordered
another card to compare to for myself.

/ragge