[linux-dvb] Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: The DVB major device number has changed

Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
> >On Tuesday 27 July 2004 19:20, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I was just informed that LANANA has assigned an official
> >>major number for DVB, so we don't have to use the "unoffical /
> >>experimental use only" number 250 anymore.
> >>
> >>Apparently the number was assigned months ago, just nobody bothered
> >>to tell us:
> >>http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6/cset@1.1371.585.18?nav=index.html
> >>
> >>The new offical major number is 212. I've changed the sources
> >>for dvb-kernel (dvbdev.h and MAKEDEV-DVB.sh). People who
> >>don't use devfs will have to recreate their devices.
> >

> >Argh, this will cause a lot of trouble!!!

Yes :-(

> >Imho it would be better to use 250 for all API-3 drivers,
> >and switch to 212 for API-4.
>
> a heretical thought comes to my mind: isn't it possible to move to a
> sysfs/udev based filesystem and leave all the struggles of major/minor
> numbering of chrdevs behind?

We have to play by the rules. Someone applied for a major number
at LANANA, now we got one and thus we must use it...

And, BTW, udev doesn't obsolete device numbers, it is just
a mechanism to create device nodes automatically.

> >>I'm thinking it might make sense to change the major number
> >>for the 2.4 drivers, too. Any objections?
> >

> >Yes/No: Imho all API-3 drivers should use the same device number.
>
> my opinion too.

OK. I'll make that changes tomorrow and put a note on
www.linuxtv.org.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index