[linux-dvb] Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: The DVB major device number has changed

> > Imho it would be better to use 250 for all API-3 drivers,
> > and switch to 212 for API-4.
> >
> IMHO, this is the best solution to avoid a lot of confusion.
> API-4 will need many changes to softwares, so a new major
> shouldn't be too difficult to do at the same time.
> That way, the big confusion will be only once.

Only if you change the names of the device nodes too. I.e. make them
/dev/dvb/adapter0/video0  250 0
/dev/dvb4/adapter0/video0 212 0
This way they can even co-exist.

The userland software sees only the device names, it doesn't care at
all about major/minor numbers. So changing the major is strictly
independent from any API changes affecting the clients; changing them
at once would probably add to the confusion already done (do you
always update drivers and userland at once?)

Olaf

Home | Main Index | Thread Index