[linux-dvb] Re: [RFC][ANNOUNCE] blindscan: auto search everything

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
Roberto Ragusa wrote:

Holger Waechtler <holger@qanu.de> wrote:

struct dvb_fe_scan_spec {
unsigned freq_start;
unsigned freq_end;
unsigned srate_start;
unsigned srate_end;
}

A similiar approach works for the mt352 DVB-T demod, there the srate fields are not required but bandwidth and the scan_weak_channels bit have to be configured. What do you think?
The auto symbol rate capability is not exactly a scan.
Between a start frequency and an end frequency you can find many signals.
But in a sr range you can only find one signal.

So, the idea of suspending and resuming is not applicable.
Having freq and sr together in a struct doesn't look right, as freq
is tipically fixed.

After rereading what you wrote... are you saying that the core of the
blindscan program should be moved into the kernel?

IIRC Holger told me that the mt3?2 frontends can do the whole scan
automatically? Doing it in the kernel sounds wrong.
No need to do anything in the kernel -- basically the ioctls map pretty well the hardware states and the flow charts in the mt312/mt352 Design manuals, just fetch them from the Zarlink website and take a look.

We can always add new ioctls. To me it doesn't feel right
to cram the scan functionality into the normal FE_SET_FRONTEND ioctl.
I would suggest a new set of FE_SCAN_START/CANCEL/CONTINUE/XXXXX ioctls to ensure binary-compability.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index