[linux-dvb] Re: 2.6.7 kernel and Device Major Numbers

Brian McKerr wrote:

Greetings all,

I've just installed my PVR with a fresh copy of Fedora Core 2 (kernel 2.6.5) and upgraded the kernel to the latest 2.6.7. Now I have a problem using dvbstream and I get the following error;

FRONTEND DEVICE: : No such device or address
FE_GET_INFO: : Bad file descriptor

it would appear to be related to the major device numbers for my DVB card (nebula). I modified the MAKDEV script to create the devices as major 212 , as per the announcement, however when I load up my modules I still get major number 250 for DVB in /proc/devices;

[root@pvr root]# cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
1 mem
4 /dev/vc/0
4 tty
4 ttyS
5 /dev/tty
5 /dev/console
5 /dev/ptmx
6 lp
7 vcs
10 misc
13 input
21 sg
29 fb
36 netlink
81 video4linux
128 ptm
136 pts
180 usb
216 rfcomm
250 DVB

I've tried reloading, rebooting etc all to no avail. I even tried the suggestion from someone (earlier on the list) like this entry in /etc/modprobe.conf;

alias char-major-212 nxt6000

But it doesnt appear to change /proc/devices and and I'm not sure which 'DVB' module/s it should apply to ? just front end ?

So tell me please, what is the (simplest) fix ?

Cheers,

Brian.

Apart from the obvious 'go back to 2.6.5'.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index