[linux-dvb] Re: Which DVB-S card ?

Robert Schlabbach wrote:

From: "Vincent Bernat" <bernat@free.fr>

Now, trying each card is a bit expensive. Are there some cards which
are better than the Nova-S (in the budget category) ? Skystar 2
maybe ?

I'd lean towards a card with the Zarlink tuner/demodulator with the
enhanced autoscanning capabilities. The STV0299B on the NOVA-S can only
autodetect the FEC rate, but not the symbol rate like the Zarlink can.

I'm not exactly sure which card(s) the Zarlink is on, though, and how good
it is otherwise.

I would definitely recommend against the STV0299 (and as far as I'm aware any Budget-CI).

Despite months of efforts trying to get a TT-Budget-CI working with Irdeto 2 decryption I'm giving up and am now waiting on my full-featured card to be delivered.

While it may be a single eroneous line in the DVB driver, a fundamental floor in the STV0299, something particular to my Irdeto 2.09 CAM, the smart card, the encryption, or with MythTV, I've run out of patience with the blasted thing.
I now see that the budget-ci issue has been discussed here to some extent - that is, it simply doesn't decrypt anything even though it has a signal, a lock, and has found the audio/video streams. The workarounds others have are very creative, but bottom line is they don't work for me, and I think I've tried everything that anyone could suggest to fix it. The most I can get under Linux is a show recorded once or twice, then for no apparent reason it will drop out and never find a stream again.

This card worked first time, perfectly under Windows XP, and I swear did used to work reliably under Linux at one stage, but now it's broken - and despite having tried to revert to all of the old working versions of the drivers & software, it's remains 100% stuffed.

I would be interested in hearing any success stories with the STV0299 based budget-ci cards & Irdeto decryption, as it's been a long time since I've seen anything on the decrypted-end of my smartcard.

Denis.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index