[linux-dvb] Problems moving from 2.4 drivers to 2.6 drivers

Just resending this as I'm not certain it got through the first time.

Thanks, James.

---------- Resent message ----------

Hi there. I've been happily using the DVB drivers on Red Hat with a 2.4
kernel for ages, but I recently moved to Suse with a 2.6 kernel. And I'm
having some problems getting my Hauppaage Nova-T DVB card going again.

I decided to build the drivers from source. No problems in building them,
or I think loading them, but the /dev/dvb/adapter0/* files all return "No
such device or address" whenever I try to access them.

I get the following messages when I first load the DVB modules:

kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
kernel: dvb_core: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
kernel: saa7146: register extension 'dvb'.
kernel: saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb'.
kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:0f.0 (0004 -> 0006)
kernel: saa7146: found saa7146 @ mem e2d91000 (revision 1, irq 10) (0x13c2,0x1005).
kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI).
kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (Grundig 29504-401 (LSI L64781 Based))...
kernel: adapter has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:21:83:66
kernel: saa7146: register extension 'budget_ci dvb'.
kernel: saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb /w video in'.

The above looks right to me; or at least it is very similar to the output
I used to get on my older kernel. But when I use things like dvbstream, I
get the following errors:

$ dvbstream -f 641833 -o -ps 600 601
dvbstream v0.6 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001-2004
Released under the GPL.
Latest version available from http://www.linuxstb.org/
FRONTEND DEVICE: : No such device or address
FE_GET_INFO: : Bad file descriptor
dvbstream will stop after -1 seconds (71582788 minutes)
FD 0: DEMUX DEVICE: : No such device or address

One thing I should mention is that I originally got messages like the
following when I tried to load the DVB modules:

Unknown symbol release_firmware
Unknown symbol request_firmware

I resolved this by doing 'modprobe firmware_class', but I'm absolutely
certain this is not the right thing to do, although it did alleviate the
symptoms.

In addition, I had to comment out '#modprobe crc32' because I don't have
the crc32 module. But nothing that I need seems to depend on it, so I
think I got away with commenting it out. I don't think it's important, but
I thought I'd better mention it.

Any help on getting the above working would be much appreciated. It's all
very frustrating, but I reckon I must be very close to getting it working.
Thanks for any help,

James.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index