[linux-dvb] WinTV Nova-t No go???

Hi I followed the instructions to get my WinTV Nova-T DVB card going in Gentoo (and later Suse and Slackware) using a 2.6.7 kernel. I enabled the appropriate budget TV card options in the kernel (indeed I enabled everything in DVB that realated to the term 'budget' just for good measure) and I also (as per the kernel instructions enabled all the avaible front ends in order to determin which one the kernel would try to load for my card.

After doing this and examining the output of dmesg this is what I found:

"saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb'.

saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb /w video in'.

saa7146: register extension 'budget_ci dvb'.

saa7146: found saa7146 @ mem e09f3000 (revision 1, irq 17) (0x13c2,0x1011).

DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T PCI).

tda1004x: Detected Philips TDA10045H.

tda1004x: Detected Philips TD1316 tuner.

tda1004x_fwupload: Unable to open firmware /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/tda1004x.bin

TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T PCI adapter 0 has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:22:0b:bf

saa7146: register extension 'budget_patch dvb'.

saa7146: register extension 'dvb'."

So after noting the model number and which front end it was trying to load, I went back to the kernel where I double checked I had enabled support for my card and where I also read I had to get a particular Windows based.dll from Technotrend and rename this tda1004x.bin. The kernel contained (or so it seemed) helpful instructions on how to do this, where to get the dll, how to extract it from the Technotrend package and where to place it so that the kernel could find it. (Which is clearly /usr/lib/tda1004x.bin). Having done all this I rebooted and watched for any relevant messages.

However despite this when I reboot I still keep getting the error message on boot:

"tda1004x_fwupload: Unable to open firmware /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/tda1004x.bin"

I have now tested this on three seperate distributions (as detailed above) and all give the same results.

My question therefore is, has my TV card been correctly identified? If so why is it trying to upload firmware supplied by a company other than Hauppauge? Will this work? And if not what will.

So far the evidence has been that it won't work - at least not over the three distributions that I have tried

In Gentoo there were a number of the required devices created in /dev/dvb - but not all of those needed were created (like audio0, vide0, frontend0) and so on. (You will have to forgive me if those aren't the correct names, I'm working from memory ATM). In Slackware there wasn't even any /dev/dvb entry at all. Similarly so in Suse. This is despite enabling full DVB support and DVB core support (and Video for Linux in case it was needed - and all the associated modules) into the kernel.

Which kind of begs the question, is there something I have missed and if so what is it? As far as I can tell, I have done everything and more that should be required to get DVB working on my system.

Right now I have not had the chance to employ the DVB tools, since whenever I did they would naturally complain that this or that device in dev/dvb/adapter0 didn't exist. Looking at the /dev directory it is easy to confirm that this is indeed the case and that these devices indeed do not yet exist.

Has anyone here ever actually got one of these cards to work - and if so, could they kindly explain the process?

All input is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

GJ

Home | Main Index | Thread Index