From: linux-dvb-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:linux-dvb-bounce@linuxtv.org]
On Behalf Of Denis Cheong
Sent: 13. elokuuta 2004 12:32
To: linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: Which DVB-S card ?

This is very interesting information, and was not apparent from any documentation I've seen for the budget-ci card or any other mailing
list!

I do of course know that it hasn't been released officially - it is only

in the CVS of course. And as I said I do acknowledge the hard work of the developers to get the drivers to this stage.

The card in my case is a Technotrend (which is the same as the Nova - but is this a chicken-and-egg thing?) but looking at the source code, there isn't enough documentation to figure out what's going on and find out where it's bombing out (well it doesn't really bomb out, just doesn't work).

This being all said, I've seen it actually work and decode a significant

amount of video, but why it doesn't work any more I still can't figure out ...

Still, and all things and hard work acknowledged, what I originally stated remains the case - if you are after a card that will decrypt using a CAM under linux, then you are well-advised to steer clear of the

budget-ci cards for the time being.

Irek Defee wrote:

The CI driver in fact was never released officially. And the difference with full feature card is that there CI software is in the card.

I don't know if the Linux driver developers can be blamed for this.

They

are extremely bright and they would surely do it. Or maybe they even have done this for themselves already.

But as I heard from the mailing list one of the main problems in
implementing CI software for NOVA was that the CAM control software is
not done according to the standard, there are proprietary parts. This
requires cooperation with the system owners (e.g. Iredto) to implement
it. And system owners are not willing to cooperate since they don't

want

to release the software to the public domain. Trying to find out the way to communicate with CAM might be illegal. This is why everything works in
Windows and in FF card but not in NOVA.

Irek

Home | Main Index | Thread Index