[linux-dvb] Re: Twinhan DST / TS204 and signal quality questions

Jukka Tastula wrote:

> YLE/digita/whoever only a while ago announced that they're "fixing" the dvb
> subtitles. Something about sending an "End of Display Segment" bit in the
> stream. Still doesn't work that well with many (any?) STBs. Things like
> these make you wonder how many standard features they're still missing,
> after all these years.  I'm sure a part of the problem is lack of interest
> as dvb subtitles aren't very commonly used but can it really be that hard
> to get it right? They've had 3 years already.

The problem is that the ETSI standard for DVB subtitles is very
hard to read. So, the subtitle encoder developers read it one way
and the decoder developers read it another way. Then, when they
notice it, the problem gets "fixed" one way or the other, so encoder
and decoder work together. However, this doesn't mean that they
really comply to the standard...

This happens often in cable networks, where STB manufaturers have
to add network specific features to their software anyway, and
"fix" various things until the box is accepted by the cable
network operator.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index