[linux-dvb] Re: Twinhan DVB-T, 2.6.10 kernel, and udev - where to start?!

On Saturday 15 January 2005 17:49, linuxtv@whitear.org wrote:

> > upgraded

> > fried

> > > I'm a CVS newbie - if I check out a current CVS, will your patch apply
> > > against that, and should I also use a recent bttv snapshot?
> >
> > Let me check up as i have not committed the patches yet..
> > I am fixing up some bugs ...
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm still having trouble with my VisionPlus card. I've taken a checkout of
> dvb-kernel cvs today, and downloaded a video4linux snapshot from yesterday.
>
> I still have (what I think is) the correct kernel config, i.e. I'm building
> the dvb drivers as modules. I've run makelinks from the dvb-kernel source,
> and rebuilt my kernel (vanilla 2.6.10.) Then I've built and installed the
> bttv driver.
>
> Lspci sees the card just fine. Udev doesn't populate /dev properly, so I've
> run MAKEDEV. When I modprobe bttv with or without specifying the card, the
> machine locks up hard.
>
> Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate your help getting this working. It
> used to work OK until I went to 2.6.10/udev, although the signal has never
> been as good as it is under Windows :(
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon

Jon,
  Ive had the same problems with the latest v4l snapshot locking the machine
up, it does not matter whether I specify card=0x71 it still locks up, I just
keep the v4l in the 2.6.10 kernel, that way when I modprobe bttv it
autodetects my card. This will work ok if you have a newer red card with the
eeprom on it, the older blue cards have no eeprom so you need to specify the
card number but I think all dvbt cards have the eeprom on them.

I run 2.6.10 with dvb-kernel cvs. Instead of runing make links in dvb-kernel I
just copy the whole dvb directory over, it works ok.  I also run udev and had
to put these rules in the udev rules file.

# DVB devices
KERNEL="dvb0.dvr*",        NAME="dvb/adapter0/dvr%n"
KERNEL="dvb0.demux*",      NAME="dvb/adapter0/demux%n"
KERNEL="dvb0.frontend*",   NAME="dvb/adapter0/frontend%n"
KERNEL="dvb0.audio*",      NAME="dvb/adapter0/audio%n"
KERNEL="dvb0.ca*",         NAME="dvb/adapter0/ca%n"
KERNEL="dvb0.osd*",        NAME="dvb/adapter0/osd%n"
KERNEL="dvb0.net*",        NAME="dvb/adapter0/net%n"
KERNEL="dvb0.video*",      NAME="dvb/adapter0/video%n"

If you run more than 1 card put it in again replacing 0 with 1 up to how many
card you have. I have 4 twinhan dvbt cards so Ive put the above in 4 times.

I hope this helps.

Andrew

Home | Main Index | Thread Index