mpeg2 encoder specs?

Stefan Alfredsson writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Is the KFir chip you use the one described on
 >
 > http://www.visiontech-dml.com/kfir1.html or kfir2.html?

Neither.
It uses the older Kfir1 chip. I donŽt think there are any finished
products with the Kfir2 yet besides the evaluation boards from Visiontech.

 > If so, are all features supported through the driver?
 > I.e. you talk about the mpeg2 encoding alot, but I'm also interested
 > in making VCD's, which uses mpeg-1.

MPEG1 encoding is also supported.

 > Also, I noticed that it can create mpeg-1 layer 3 audio, aka. MP3,
 > is it possible to compress only audio and no video?

The Kfir1 cannot encode audio.
This is done on an ADSP on the card which can only create Layer 1 and 2
audio.

 > What is the lowest recommended hardware? I currently use a
 > P200-mmx acting as a dvd-player (with a mpeg2 creative dxr3 decoder card),
 > and I'm thinking about making a kind of VCR with it, by using
 > an encoder/decoder combination. Will this be enough?

This should be enough.
Hard disks can be a problem on such systems. Usually they only support
DMA2 and due to the caching in Linux they sometimes cannot handle the
suddenly very large required transfer rates when the buffer in memory
is full. But this should only be a problem with slow disks and high
bitrate MPEG streams.

 > I know you're focused on linux, but it's also interesting to know
 > if the board is usable / has drivers for windows aswell?

Yes, Visiontech offers drivers for Windows and Windows NT but I never
tested them.

 > Do you know of any applications that can use it?

No. We have not developed any applications yet.

 > Do you expect the price to drop? Maybe if you sell bigger volumes?

YouŽll have to contact the manufacturer BMK for information about
this.

Regards,
Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index