Re: Kfir driver on other boards?

Paul writes:
 > > The Hauppauge uses a different PCI bridge. Without serious modification
 > > our driver won't work. But it's open source - feel free to do it ;-)
 >
 > Thanks very much for the quick response, Frank.  Hmm ...
 > I wonder if the WinTV-PVR uses the same PCI bridge as
 > its older cousin, WinTV, which has had Linux support
 > for quite some time ...

Yes, obviously we know that.
The PVR uses the Fusion 878A which is the successor of the
Bt848/878. The analog grabbing functions are reported to work with my
old bttv driver.
But I have no information about how exactly the Kfir chips are
connected to the 878 on this card. Support for it is not planned right
now. But as Frank said, it's open source.

 > By the way, I noticed that the Visiontech Reference Board shown
 > at http://www.visiontech-dml.com/kfir_rdk.html is different from
 > the one at http://www.linuxtv.org/mpeg2/ (presumably manufactured by
 > BMK-Elektronik).  Will the Linux Kfir driver work on both boards
 > without change?

No. The reference boaard shown there is for the next generation Kfir2
chipset. I don't know when cards for this one will be available in quantity.
Our driver only supports the Kfir1.

 > > > Is it possible to extract MPEG-2 I-frame-only from the Kfir2
 > > > chip?  If so, at what bit rate (e.g. 4:2:0 @ 25Mbps)?
 > >
 > > I can't answer this right now. You may have a look at the driver.
 > > Perhaps you will find a hint how to tune the parameters for getting
 > > I-frames only.
 >
 > OK.  Thanks.  The only hint I can see is KFIR_I_PICT in KfirCMD.h
 > and KFIR_MPEG_I_BIT_RATE in KfirDef.h, but they don't seem to be
 > used anywhere in the driver source.  I guess I will have to get
 > some documentation from Visiontech ...

I adid not try this yet, but the parameter
P->KF_GOP_M = KFIR_IPBB_PICT;
which is set in InitParams() should accomplish this.
Try KFIR_I_PICT, KFIR_IP_PICT or KFIR_IPB_PIC as values instead.

Regards,
Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index