[vdr] Re: keys: Very slow response to "recording"

Emil.Naepflein@philosys.de(Emil Naepflein)  28.10.01 12:20

Once upon a time Emil Naepflein shaped the electrons to say...

>On 28 Oct 2001 02:44:00 +0200, Usenet-372112@zocki.toppoint.de (Rainer
>Zocholl) wrote:

>> real    0m0.124s
>> user    0m0.050s
>> sys     0m0.070s
>>
>> missing: 14,876 sec ;-)

>Try it directly in recording.c.

??

>At least for me it was considerably
>faster.

>> I think that's someting different.
>> (The system is a 1000MHz Pentium with 128MB 133MHz CL 2 RAM
>> and i815 Chipset, UDMA is enabled, hdparm say:
>> 22MB/s datarate from disc. All not that slow?)

>Put more memory into the system. With only 128 MB in my system it
>sometimes was very slow. Now with 256 MB it is considerably faster.

Hm, just gave the 256MB strip away...

I remember that ther were a bug in linux kernel, so it
performs bad with less than 196MB.
But thought that this was fixed in 2.4.10 (.8?)

>Maybe it has todo something with the available buffers.
>If the buffers containing the directory data are pushed out
>because you do a concurrent recording then it may take some time
>until the blocks are read again.

If this happens again, i'll try to see what "top" says.

A problem could be, that large disks are prepared to
have (in our case senseless) Millions of directories.
(My ext2 50GB already has 760000(!) available entries...AFAIR)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index