[vdr] Re: OT: DVD-Recording under linux

Daniel Schneider wrote:

>>First of all: Sorry for Off-Topic - but it=B4s not totaly off topic.. :-)
>>

> I think it's not off topic at all. The goal should be a DVD recording
> funktion in VDR, so we could archive our recordings in the original

> quality and resolution. I know that this wouldn't be easy to
> implement, does somebody know if there already is a opensource DVD
> authoring software project?

Acctualy, i don't think it would be that hard. The only problem is that
certain DVD nav packets, that need's to be embedded into the MPEGII
stream, normaly contain forward references into the stream.

The creation of those packets would have to be defered long enough to
know those references. I'm not sure how long this would normaly be and
how much memory that would need. My guess is that we might have to
buffer 2 to 5min worth of data in memory, before we know those values.

An alternative solution would be, to embedded incomplete nav packets at
record time and fix them up after the recording has been finisched. This
would mean, that you have to store the recording on harddisk first and
that you *could not* record in real time to DVD-R's.

Any thoughts?

Andreas

>>PS: If anyone think DVD-Recording is still expensive:
>>

>>DVD-R Medium =B4(noname) 18 DM
>>

> In the Apple Store
> (http://store.apple.com/0800-1003650/WebObjects/germanstore/) it's
> cheaper: 15.88 DM (5 Pack 79.41)