[vdr] Re: AW: Re: AW: Problem with DVD-AC3-Playback and VDR0.98

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 11:40:00PM +0100, Stephan Schreiber wrote:

> Hello Werner,
>
> thanks for the patch.
> I was able to compile ac3iec958, but here it doesn't seem to work(?)
> I experimented with lots of aplay options, but I only get intermitted white
> noise.
> The amplifier shows PCM and no AC3.
> If you managed to get it working, would you please tell me the command line
> you're using?
> Maybe there's still something wrong with my ALSA (everything else works
> however)...
> I'd *love* to get real AC3 together with the *great* new syncing code.

Hmm ... strange.  Please be aware that the resulting PCM stream should _not_
be remixed but simply looped through the sound chip to the S/PDIF out.  Then
a modern A/V amplifier or receiver should be able to determine the data bit
within the preamble of every PCM frame and this should cause to handle
the embedded AC3 frames therein.

The sample frequence is 48kHz (not 44.1 kHz), 16 bit, and the data is
given in big endian.  You may switch this with `-x' option of
ac3iec958 or try the format s16b with the option -f of aplay.  Some
aplay's are patched (or from beta alsa tree) and have the options
-P and -C (which means AES IEC95 professional and AES IEC95 consumer
or in other words AES/EBU and S/PDIF)

       Werner

Home | Main Index | Thread Index