[vdr] Re: OT: perfect Motherboard wanted

stefan.beck@it-software-solutions.de(Stefan Beck)  02.12.01 11:51

Once upon a time Stefan Beck shaped the electrons to say...

>Hello,

>this is a bit offtopic, but perhaps someone can help me:
>I want to assemble a new PC for vdr and I'm looking for a perfect
>motherboard. These are my requirements:
>- FCPGA2 compatible (Tualatin), because I want
>  to use the new Celeron 1,2 GHz
>- _onboard_ 5.1 sound with S/PDIF Output
>- _onboard_ LAN
>- optional: onboard VGA, maybe even with a TV-Out option
>- 5 or 6 PCI-Slots

>I've been searching for a while now, but without luck.
>If anybody has seen such a board, please let me know.

Such a board can be made, but
I don't think that it will give such a board the next 2 years
if ever.

Because boards with such a lot (multimedia)periphals onboard
currently have/needs only few slot slot.
And not everybody, especailly in multimedia, is willing to
pay anything. The cheapest is too expensive for them.
And there are technical reasons that limits the number
of PCI devices. One will need an extra PCI-PCI bridge to place
more than approx. 6 devices on the bus. Only big servers
involves that. But why should those integrate an SPDIF?

With a lot periphals I know only the MS6215
which will support tualatin (next rev?).
It has
 - 100MBit-LAN
 - Firewire
 - AC97 sound (ICH)
 - VGA (i815)
 - TV-Out
 - +,+,+ see webpage.
on board, but so sorry, "only" a 2 PCI slots riser card :-(
(I don't know if the MS-6351 is available with a 3 PCI slot
riser card and an other case)

I don't know if it helps, but the "new" DVB-s 2.1
has digital audio out.

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index