[vdr] Re: idea for jump function improvements

On 21 Dec 2001 Marcus Kuba <marcus@kuba4u.de> wrote:

> 20.12.2001 22:23:21, s.huelswitt@gmx.de (Stefan Huelswitt) wrote:
>
>>On 20 Dec 2001 Marcus Kuba <marcus@kuba4u.de> wrote:
>>
>>> jump-function in the MP3-part would not be in hours:mins, but in mins:secs.
>
>>Actually it is hh:mm :-)
>
> Yes.. I know... that's why I wrote 'not' ! I'd prefer mm:ss, because mp3's are much shorter
> than movies and minutes are rather inaccurate. Compared to a movie it would be the
> same if one could only jump in 15-minute-intervals.

I overlooked this, but I think that is not a real issue. Why do
you have to jump with that high precision? You can easily
fast-forward to the wanted position, if the next full minute is
too far away.

> A typical movie is between 90 an 120 minutes long, so you have 90-120 places where
> you can jump with minutes. A typical song is around 5 minutes or even less, so you can
> only jump to 4 or 5 places in the song. With seconds you could jump to 300 places.
> Currently I have 2001 mp3's on my harddisk and NONE of them is 60 minutes or longer..
> so I think that the hh:mm-scheme is not very useful. In fact, you could remove the hh-field
> because its very unlikely that anyone will ever need it.

In fact, the jump feature was not made with 4-5 minute songs in
mind. It was made for longer files (Hörspiele, don't know the
english word).

PS: adjusting you line wrap to 78 char would be fine :)

--
Stefan Huelswitt
huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan

Home | Main Index | Thread Index