Von: casandro@t-online.de [mailto:casandro@t-online.de] Im Auftrag von
Christian Berger
Gesendet: Freitag, 21. Juni 2002 16:56
An: vdr@linuxtv.org
Betreff: [vdr] Re: workaround for Rev 2.x cards

Carsten Koch schrieb:

> Christian Berger wrote:
> > Well the quality still might be better than composite video (yuck).
> >
> > I still don't understand why the missing RGB connector hasn't caused
an
> > uproar yet, I mean the RGB connector is the selling feature for that
> > card, without it, that card is almoust useless.
>
> Aren't you a bit extreme here, Christian?
> I mean, many people are happy if their TV has a composite input
(rather
> than just antenna) and you say a DVB-S card is useless without RGB?
>
> I may be blind, but I must admit that even on my high-end beamer I
> can hardly tell the difference between composite, Y/C (from my 1.3
DVB-S)
> and RGB (from my graphics card). All three are very good.

Well high quality videoprojectors might use sophisticated and expensive
techiques to get back a decent image, but I simply cannot afford that. I
cannot afford spending hundreds of euros on a television set. That's why
I need RGB. Composite is braindead when you have digial component
sources, I mean why should I get RGB to composite and then composite
back to RGB? Where does that make sense? Besides many composite monitors
in the consumer price segment (<10 euro) just aren't fully PAL capable,
they have been designed for half-compatible PAL-encoders, but don't work
well with DVB-cards.

Besides if you've ever seen RGB you'll never want to go back to
composite. The colours are crisp and sharp, but not overladen, much
better than composite where you only have pale colours or oversaturated
ones. Just look at, fior example Bloomberg. The letters aren't supposed
to have gray edges. Not to talk about the moiree patterns you see on
them. Just look at people wearing a shirt with fine stripes. Those cause
colourfull moiree patterns. I just don't want to have a TV-set from the
early 90s with a quality from the 50s.

Besides composite VCRs are hard to get and large. Component
(RGB/Y,R-Y,B-Y) ones may be a bit more expensive, but they are small and
easy to use.

My parents have an expensive TV with digital signal processing and a
consumer composite-output digital satellite reciever. They experience
clearly visible horizontal stripes in hue variance.

> In any event, somebody has posted a recipe how to get RGB back
> (involves a little bit of soldering) a while ago. Search the archives.

I've seen it, it involves completely changing the board, I might as well
build my own DVB card.

I think companies should either provide RGB in/outputs or be forced to
market their equipment as monocrome (althought composite even sucks at
monocrome video)

> Carsten.

Servus
  Casandro