[vdr] Re: NEW GUY ;-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Rush" <srush@hyperdine.com>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 12:24 AM
Subject: [vdr] NEW GUY ;-)

> I just wanted to ask before I got started building my system. Will this
> Stuff work in the U.S. on http://www.dishnetwork.com/ or
> http://www.directv.com/ providers?

From what I've heard so far, at least one of those services does not
broadcast DVB-compliant streams, so you need a special STB to decode it. I'm
not completely sure about this and no one on this list has been able to
provide solid information on this topic so far :-/

Anyway, almost all programs on both Echostar/Dish Network and DirecTV are
encrypted (according to lyngsat.com they use Nagravision and Videoguard). To
view encrypted programs with a DVB-s card, you need a "Conditional Access
Module", which is basically a PCMCIA card that implements the decryption
algorithm. I don't know of any CA module that supports Nagravision or
Videoguard. You might try one of the "softcam" which will do the decryption
in software, but you will have to implement the Nagravision and/or
Videoguard algorithm which is not publicly available (and at least here in
Europe, such activity is considered illegal).

Regards,
hh

Home | Main Index | Thread Index