[vdr] Re: Bug, or just me?

Dennis wrote:
 > Using vdr-1.1.11 on a Pentium 133 (experiment :-) , 98 MB memory, Gentoo
 > Linux, kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r9, using a single Hauppauge rev 2.1
DVB-C card.

I'm also using Gentoo and had some strange problems with the
gentoo-sources (as you know, they're heavily patched). I don't know if
your problems have something to do with it, but maybe it would be better
to merge the vanilla-sources for a rock-stable system.
Must have been a really time-expensive installation with a P133 ;)

 > I am using the NEWSTRUCT dvb driver branch, without the new firmware
(i.e. the
 > time shifting with one card one).
 >
 > In normal viewing mode vdr takes nearly no CPU (as it should of course).
 >
 > When recording however (live record, not through a timer), there are
2 vdr
 > threads which immediately eat up 50% of CPU time each, causing major
 > distortions in the "live" viewing as well as in the recording.
 >
 > When stopping the recording, this continues! That's the weird part.
Still 2
 > threads, eating all CPU, and distorting the live viewing.
 >
 > However, as soon as I re-tune to the same channel (menu->channels->same
 > channel), CPU drops to 1% or so and the video is smooth again.
 >
 > When I play back the recording, it does so with only 6% or so of CPU
time,
 > however the picture is distorted because of the recording process.

I think this is already known...I can remember such posts a few days ago.

 > I'm having some weird issues with dvbtune as well, so it could be
caused by
 > something else, but just curious as to wether this is normal or not :-)

Maybe the sources, who knows...

Best regards, Ronald.