[vdr] Re: VIA Epia M mainboard anyone?

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:55:31PM +0200, Harald Milz wrote:
> is anyone working with the new VIA Epia M mainboard with the CLE266 chipset
> (http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81)? Sounds
> pretty promising with an embedded MPEG-2 decoder in the chipset.
It's still to new (just released a few days ago), so I don't think anybody
here has this board yet. I'll probably buy one in november/december.
The mpeg2-decoder sounds promising, but I'm not sure, wether it's
supported in linux. The older boards (533Mhz fanless, 800Mhz with a small
fan) are available since this spring (only usb 1.0, no firewire, normal
sound) and if you don't need the additional features they should be ok
(btw. they are a lot cheaper: 129€ 533Mhz fanless, 139€ 800Mhz, the new
ones cost about 189€ 600Mhz fanless and 199€ 933Mhz with fan).

> This would allow for a budget DVB-s card with smaller power
> requirements.
I think you could use a normal DVB-s (Rev 2.1, Rev 1.3 is probably too
hot to build a small system). There are/will be risercards that support 2
PCI-cards, the only problem is: cases are missing, that are small and
support 2 pci-cards (you could of course take a flex-atx or micro-atx
case).

Good sites for the mini-itx boards/cases are:
www.mini-itx.com and www.mini-itx.de.

The biggest problem is the power-supply if you cannot use the Morex case
with external fanless powersupply (they don't sell these alone...).

Bye,
Matthias
--
Matthias.Mueller@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de