[vdr] ALWELL STB might be too slow even @667MHz !

Hi,

at http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ciw-10.10.02-000/ [German!] I read
about the VIA C3 CPU. This CPU is being used in the STB by Alwell, which
were rather attractive to some of us. Even at speeds of approx. 1GHz this
CPU has not enough power to play DivX fluently.

That is very sad ! It renders these STB useless as VDR clients, except if
used with the MPEG-decoder option.

This option is available as chip on the PCI riser card (MPEG2) or as MPEG4
card, work being done on integrating this chip on the riser as well.

However, since this is a Sigma Designs chip, and as it seems Sigma Designs
and the DivX company gave up their co-laboration, this chip might not (!)
play DivX5.

Just wanted to issue a possible risk, when getting these boxes.

I feel it is a pitty, I wanted to have one such box at least.

--
Good bye, Andreas
Mandrake Linux 8.2,  Athlon1.2GHz, MSI K7T266Pro, 512MB DDR-RAM, MSI StarForce64Pro (GeForce2PRO), Hercules GameTheater XP, D-Link530DX, Hauppauge WinTV-s rev2.1,IWill SIDE2930C