[vdr] Re: nvram-wakeup messes up system time

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Thomas Keil (TK) wrote:

TK> Subject: [vdr] nvram-wakeup messes up system time

well, nvram-wakeup does _not_ touch the system time.

TK> I finally have a mobo now that supports timer wakeup feature
TK>
TK> nvram-wakeup works fine for me besides the fact that every shutdown it
TK> sets the RTC to systemtime+2h
TK>
TK> Does someone know what's going wrong?

could you post the output of nvram-wakeup when called with the --debug
option. Ideally, the output of

   hwclock ; date ; nvram-wakeup --debug <whatever options you use>

TK> RTC is set to localtime which is timezone Europe/Berlin.

the only thing I could think of is that your linux system _thinks_ that
your RTC is running at utc, so we would have the following scenario:

   - your RTC is at local time, say 15:00
   - you boot linux, it thinks that RTC is running UTC and sets the system
     time to 17:00
   - after you start vdr, vdr corrects the system time to be again 15:00
   - when you shutdown, the shutdown script thinks again that RTC is at
     UTC and corrects your RTC to the new time, beeng 13:00 UTC

   -> you end up with utc time in your RTC instead of local time.

but then again, it is localtime-2h for your time zone.

c ya
        Sergei
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de