[vdr] Re: No power-off after installing nvram-wakeup

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, A.u.H. Benkesch (AB) wrote:

AB> Hello,
AB> after installing nvram-wakeup-0.04b on my system
AB> (MB= Gigabyte GA-7VTXH, Suse 8.0)
AB> with make MB=31 AKTUALLY_WRITE=ON
AB> and then make install
AB> i tried the 6 minute test
AB> ./nvram-wakeup -s ... (like diskribed)
AB>
AB> At the next reboot the harddisk wasn't found any longer.
AB> (the system startet from the Suse 8.0 DVD i had forgotten in the drive)
AB> After removing the DVD i tried again, without success.

did you do any other changes rather than installing nvram-wakeup? did you
recompile your kernel and/or the kernel modules?

AB> After some playing around the system found the hdd.

some playing around? what exactly was the problem?

AB> To  be  shure  that  the  system  has the original state like before i
AB> flashed  the  bios  with  the  version  i  had  in there before trying
AB> nvram-wakeup.

one problem could be that you didn't load BIOS defaults after flashing the
bios. (every mainboard manufacturer tells you to do so)

AB> But since the system does not switch off the power when going down.

one  problem could be, if you recompiled the kernel and/or kernel modules,
that  you forgot to set the appropriate options (ACPI or APM, whatever you
use)

To  be  sure, you could boot the "rescue system" from the SuSE 8.0 DVD and
see if it turns off the system if you call
   shutdown -h now

BTW.: by flashing the BIOS you don't change the nvram contents.

AB> So, the question is which files are maipulatet by nvram-wakeup
AB> that may cause this behavior.

nvram-wakeup  doesn't  change any files. The only one thing it changes, is
the  nvram (see nvram-wakeup-mb.h for the bytes which are changed). Should
this be the problem, there is one thing to say:
     I always suggest to try ACTUALLY_WRITE=OFF first.
(see README)

if  you  still  think,  that nvram-wakeup has written something wrong into
your nvram, you can set everything in nvram to default values by
     selecting "Load default values" in your BIOS setup
or completely clear it by
     using the jumper "Clear CMOS" on your motherboard.
In  the  latter case, the motherboard will load default settings upon next
boot.

AB> Btw, I can't find the START_APMD parameter in yast

apmd  doesn't  have  to  do  anything  with  turning  off the system after
shutdown -- it is a feature of the apm driver in the kernel.

hope, it helps.

c ya
        Sergei
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de