[vdr] Some questions

Hi,

I am currently struggling to get acceptable (2 recordings on 2 cards, 1
playback on primary card) performance on a P1-133. While it is possible it
just doesn't have the beef to do this, this machine was hot stuff when I got
it like 100 years ago, and it would be nice to put it back into service.

If I make a small test program, which tunes the card(s), and then runs the
equivalent of pesdump it can read the specified streams without any problems
or any noticable CPU usage (playing with mplayer does show the right stream
is being correctly recorded).

I imagine the actual work involved in just shuffling data around between cards
and disks should not really be limited by the CPU. (Disks have DMA enabled,
and give 12 mbyte/sec in mdma mode (no udma here :-)

Which brings us to my question of what really needs to happen for VDR to do
it's thing. Video / Audio synchronization I guess needs a kind of elementary
parsing of the streams in order to line up the correct data so everything is
in sync. If it is a "read header, read timestamp, read length of packet, skip
to next header" thing it shouldn't be too hard, but if it needs to scan all
the data looking for markers it might become a problem. Any docs on this
issue? Example programs which take care of this and might be quicker to jump
into than the VDR sourcecode?

In some cases (for example cutting) it is necessary to break down the video
stream info frames, in order to be able to work on I-frame boundaries. But
for strict "read a few PID's from transponder A on card 1, read some from
transponder B on card 2, write a video and audio stream to card 1" type use,
i.e. basic VDR stuff, how much parsing of the incoming data needs to be done?
If you disable cutting mode, is there still a need for determining I-frame
boundaries at all?

How many (re/de)mux processes occur inside VDR during normal use? Which could
be simplified to increase performance, while possibly crippling some
features?

Sorry for all these questions, I am trying to scrape together the info from
mailing lists and example programs as well.

Cheers,
Dennis

PS - Klaus, I got the highlight-in-the-program-schedule
shows-that-are-marked-for-recording thing working, but it's a dirty thing and
I'll look at it again after I get the VDR box all set up :-)