[vdr] Re: nvram-wakeup and Elitegroup motherboard

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Matthias Raus (MR) wrote:

MR> >you can simply check that: just set some wakeup time in your BIOS (without
MR> >using   nvram-wakeup)   and   see   if  you  can  shutdown  your  PC  with
MR> >shutdown/poweroff.  If  not,  you  may  have  to experiment with different
MR> >kernel options (see APM and/or ACPI).
MR> >
MR> Hi, I don't think it's the kernel's fault, because I can shutdown the PC
MR> normally when there is NO wakeup time in the BIOS.

Well, of course it may be a broken BIOS, but it also may be some bug in
linux poweroff functions, especially if you're using ACPI

MR> In the BIOS, I use mainly predefined values, except that I had to turn
MR> off ACPI function in order to solve an IRQ conflict in Windows XP. The
MR> problem is just that the wakeup time in the BIOS prevents the PC from
MR> switching off.

Does WinXP turn off independant of the timer setting? (if it does, linux
should be able to do that too)

The other thing you may try is to switch your linux kernel from APM to
ACPI or vice versa.

c ya
        Sergei
--