[vdr] Re: Image quality on sat reception.

Rienecker, Fa. Evenio, ITS P, M wrote:

>Well, one thing is for sure:
>You should never ever have block artefacts in a normal setup!!!
>Or your quality of signal is too bad.
>Have you checked the techpatch (TECH=1 of AIO) ?
>
>But still, it could be a faulty tuner. I've had a DVB-C that was heavily
>affected by heat resulting in block artefacts. If cooling helps you know
>it's the tuner. If it only improves the situation the tuner is already
>unrecoverably damaged by heat.
>
>CU,
>Christian.

One remark from my side.
When I started to setup my VDR project last year I checked at first DVB-S card(Haupagge)under WIN98. My impression here was that picture quality under Windows was a little bit sharper as for the linux one. In details the distance between the luminance and the color signal was closer which gives the impression of more sharpness. "Unfortunatly" I've removed Win on the VDR platform therefore I couldn't verify this phenomena anymore.
I could imagine that free linux driver (with free ARM object code) disables "first class" video quality as commercial WIN version (which I've paid)???
But on the other side how can the driver influences the picture quality? Are there a "second class" ARM binary implementation ?

Are there any other similar observations ?

Wolfi