[vdr] Re: VIA C3 800Mhz

On Saturday 21 December 2002 21:24, you wrote:
> >Then the C3 should be enough.
>
> 	Well, I would use at least the C3 800Mhz and not lower.
> 	The board intended is the epia M9000 which has Mpeg2 decoder on
> board
> 	so it would be nice if DVD playback would use this decoder or
> the Mpeg decoder
> 	on the DVBs card. (Technotrend/Hauppauge v1.3)

As stated. If you don't have any divx or just wont to play them on that box,
you will be fine, and you can safe some money in getting the normal (not M)
epia board. You don't need the mpeg2-decoder of the epia-M since the dvb is
doing the Job. Indeed I don't think there is an mpeg2decoder on the epia,
maybe some hardwareacceleration for the graphic-card (as radeon has). The
manufacturer loves it to call that mpeg2-acceleration.

> 	I have no intention to convert the mpeg stream to any other
> format to save space.
> 	The device must be able to play a DVD smoothly tho and
> record/play mpeg data from the
> 	DVBs card without artifacts/interruptions.

On my machine I have around 2-5% of CPU-Usage while playing DVD, so it should
be Ok. Anything that is mpeg1/mpeg2 can be feeded to the DVB.

> 	This should be no problem since there are two mpeg decoders
> available.
> 	I wonder if the DVD player is able to use the on board decoder
> or does it use only
>       software decoding?

The vdr-dvd-plugin is using the onboard-decoder of the DVB so the CPU-Usage
while playing DVD should not go over 10%

Greets

Steffen
--
counter.li.org : #296567.