[vdr] Re: High CPU usage of vdr-1.1.22

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 10:54:36 +0100, Margit.Fiegert@t-online.de (M.
Fiegert) wrote:

> I used 1.1.17 for some time and had lots of problems. Some days ago I
> switched to 1.1.22. I lost some recordings right away. I disabled
> the two defines for simultanious recording/playbayck. After that there
> were no more stability problems. :-)

I have disabled the both, the cpu usage seams to be much lower now. The
same is true with the number of interrupts. They are now about 1100 per
runing recording.

> But: I have recordings that seem to be corrupted in some way. The can be
> viewed without distortions, but sometimes they just get stuck. I need to
> skip over these moments. Generally fast forward/backword does not work
> good with these recordings, like the index had been produced with genindex.

I have similar problems. But the same was true with 1.0.4. I had several
recordings where the play mode was changed automagically to fast forward
at a speific point of the recording. Jumping over the localtion helped.

> Have you tried to disable the two defines? I had high cpu load with my
> 1.1.17 (with defines) but not with 1.1.22 (without defines). I don`t
> know about 1.1.22 with defines.

It looks better now. Still not the same level as 1.0.4, I now have about
15 % usage per running recording.

> Could this lead to corrupt files?  Maybe we should try Emeralds
> fidbirq() patch!

This may lead to corrupt files if data is lost.

> Is there any tool that checks the integrity of a stream (headers and
> some CRC)?
>
> By the way: anybody using "streamtype" of mpegtools? I tried several
> versions (also the current one frome Metzler brothers page) and only got
> segfaults :-(

I once compiled one to be used by my tool vdrls which shows the
resolution and aspect of recordings. This version seems to ran stable. I
tried also other tools but got core dumps for them. If you want my
streamtype binary I can send it to you.

Emil