[vdr] Re: tech patch for vdr 1.1.24

I think within reason patches should be merged into vdr-1.1 tree.  As long
as functionality of vdr is not destabilized or lost.  Wherever is
reasonable, plugins should be used unless it is not practical.

I think if people are going to run vdr, run plugins, and thus run a whole
flock of patches, why not make it less complicated and try to integrate
the patches into the mainline tree.

_J

In the new year, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Reinhard Walter Buchner <rw.buchner@freenet.de> [030212 15:03]:
> > For most of my mods plugins just aren't possible, because
> > I cannot reach the needed "inards" of VDR from the
> > plugin interface (fonts, color, tech ;o)), etc). With the tech
> > patch for example, how would you reach the needed DVB
> > calls when they aren't even implemented? So plugins: no
> > sorry, it just isn't possible.
>
> Maybe it could be interesting to split those patches up into
> 2 parts, one is a patch for vdr, to provide the needed information
> and the other is a plugin that sits on top of the provided information
>
> For the tech patch this is probably not really useful, as the
> information is not used anywhere except for the meter that the
> tech patch provides. (even though one could write a plugin allowing
> to adjust your sat dish using sound instead of the meter so you
> don't have to see the TV)
>
> For other components it's more useful. For example addon fonts
> should really go into plugins, so that plugins like vdrmail don't
> need a patch against vdr to work, when they bring their own fonts.
>
> > Patch: Hohum. It would be quite a bit of work to seperate
> > all mods (it's more than just 5 or 6. The newest modreadme
> > is quite a few pages long and it only list what I have done,
> > no real "instructions" there) each into a seperate patch and
> > I can already hear some people saying, well why do I have
> > to apply 150 patches? Couldn't we make an AIO?
>
> 150? Wow. I could not even think of so many things to improve vdr :-)
> When's your next release?
>
>   Stefan
>
> --
> The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
> regarded as a criminal offense.                      -- E. W. Dijkstra
>

> --
> Info:

From field.