[vdr] dxr3/vdr problem

Hello,

I am still unable to get vdr and the dxr3 plugin working reliably here.

I think the problem is due to poor quality signal.  At times the picture
starts to break up etc.  When this is bad vdr usually crashes.
Sometimes  the dxr3 locks up and I need to do a reboot.  By locks up I
mean that the screen will have random noise frozen on it and sometimes
the sound gets stuck making noise.

Often while this is happening I get messages out of vdr:
Feb 28 01:21:17 vdr vdr[1378]: ERROR: unknown picture type '7'
Feb 28 01:21:18 vdr vdr[1378]: ERROR: error in data stream!
Feb 28 01:21:40 vdr vdr[1378]: ERROR: error in data stream!
Feb 28 01:21:41 vdr vdr[1378]: ERROR: unknown picture type '5'
Feb 28 01:21:50 vdr vdr[1378]: ERROR: unknown picture type '5'
Feb 28 01:22:00 vdr vdr[1378]: ERROR: error in data stream!
Feb 28 01:22:14 vdr last message repeated 13 times
Feb 28 01:22:24 vdr vdr[1379]: ERROR: not sync'ed to TS packet on device
1
Feb 28 01:22:24 vdr vdr[1379]: ERROR: skipped 25 bytes to sync on TS
packet on device 1
Feb 28 01:22:24 vdr vdr[1379]: ERROR: not sync'ed to TS packet on device
1
Feb 28 01:22:24 vdr vdr[1379]: ERROR: skipped 163 bytes to sync on TS
packet on device 1
Feb 28 01:22:33 vdr vdr[1378]: ERROR: error in data stream!

(It is worth noting that my stand-alone receiver has problems during
these times.  I have even known it to lock up and/or have its video
decoder lock up.)

Now, we are having very bad weather here at the moment, and that could
explain the problem, but still, the system (vdr/dxr3) should be more
resilient.

Just to give you an idea I have been unable to get vdr to run for more
than a few hours.

So, it would seem that the dxr3 plugin is not very resilient to error.
I received an email a while ago from one of the dxr3 plugin authors (Kai
Moeller) saying:

> Well, with decoding corrupt pes packets. So actually it is an interface
> violation because in my opinion the presentation layer should actually not
> care about such problems.
> Anyway Teemu Rantanen already reported this and we decided to add his
> workaround to the plugin code.
> We are going to release today or tommorrow.

Ki - are you trying to say this is a driver or a vdr issue?

Eitherway, I think the dxr3 plugin should be more resilient.  I am
willing to help track down problems etc if its any help (given that my
signal is so poor that I will find problem quickly!)

Also, with budget cards - what is the recommended driver?  Perhaps a
different driver would help stop errors getting through to vdr? Has
anyone tried dvb-kernel with vdr?