[vdr] Re: Newbie installs vdr

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 00:43, Vladi wrote:
> Yet another step towards being a happy vdr-man:
>

> Looks like I missed my chance to enable the remote control which came with dvb
> card... How can I do "REMOTE=LIRC" now and where?

When you do 'make VFAT=1' to compile VDR itself, you need to actually
provide

'make REMOTE=LIRC VFAT=1'

It will be beneficial to 'make clean' first before you try to remcompile
VDR - this will ensure the source code is in a pristine state.

> (by the way, my remote came without a picture or explanation, so I don't know which
> button is 'menu' for example - can someone mail me something to that extent?)

You need to get LIRC to learn about your remote control.... when you try
to run the 'lircd' daemon, it should complain in syslog that it has no
configuration file.

You generate a lircd.conf by running 'irrecord MyRemote.conf' and follow
the on-screen prompts. You'll need to press each button on your remote
in turn, and give these buttons a name. This will create a file called
'MyRemote.conf' which you can copy on top of any existing lircd.conf
(probably /etc/lircd.conf of /etc/lirc/lircd.conf) and restart the lircd
daemon.

In this way, you have complete control as to which physical button on
the remote does what - it doesn't matter what words may be printed on
the remote itself :)

You can check if the remote / LIRC link is working by simply running
'irw' - when you press a button, you should be told the IR code, remote
model and button name that you provided to irrecord.  If you are getting
no output from 'irw', then VDR will definately not work with LIRC and
your remote.

> #man vdr
>
> No manual entry for vdr

Since you have not done 'make install', you can read the manpages from
the current directory by doing:

man 1 ./vdr.1     for general info, and
man 5 ./vdr.5	  for info on config file formats.

Cheers,
Gavin.