[vdr] Re: What´s index.vdr good for?

From: "Rene Bartsch" <ml@bartschnet.de>
> Am Mon, 2003-05-26 um 21.41 schrieb Emre Bastuz:
> > I´ve been wondering what the index.vdr is good for (that lies

[...]
> As the MPEG-PES-format of the VDR-recordings do not include a
> time-stamp, VDR writes an index-file with time-stamps. This is necessary
> for e.g. fast-forward, rewinding and setting cutting-marks.

Well - actually this is not completely true.

The "MPEG-PES"-format of the VDR recordings does of course
contain timestamps. Otherwise you would not be able to play it back in
sync.

VDR writes an index file containing the start of every GOP. It
probably uses it for fast-forward and rewinding, I don't know.

Cut-marks are saved in a file called "marks.vdr", which contains
references to index.vdr (which then contains references into the
*.vdr files).

rgds

    Wiljo