[vdr] Re: prblems with xine plugin 0.0.2, xine exiting often

Hi,

Onno wrote:

First i must say that i realy like this plugin,
it gives a hughe boost to dvb on linux :-)
Well, as a start, I works quite well already. But there are a lot of things to improve, especially in xine :-)

but i have some trouble with the display in xine, xine
has problems with format changes on switching and after
ending a recoding replay.
I've realized that too, but hadn't had time to look into that issue. I think, that I do something wrong when demuxing the fifo data and therefore run into an error case, where I return -1 which means "end of stream". For now, just hit "play" in the xine GUI and it should be ok again.

most times the problems occour an channels broadcasting
in 480x576, like sat1 and some music channels.

the most likely error is a chopy, slideshow like display,
with no sound, the othererror os that from time to time
xine completly exits, this happens mostly on the exit
from playback of recordings, but not only.

the first error can most times be recovered by switching
to the channel several times, or by switching to one of
the more stable channels, like rtl.
Do you really use release 0.0.2, because below you mention 0.0.1? I've improved channel switching a bit in 0.0.2, but the mentioned behaviour can still happen, but not that often anymore.

The cause is a buffer underrun, as xine eats data to quickly to keep the metronom running like on the previous switched channel. But the satellite is a fixed rate source and cannot deliver more data on demand ;-)

xine currently doesn't handle fixed rate streams very well. The only thing I can do for now is to wait a few milli seconds on a channel switch to have VDR fill its ring buffer a little bit, so that xine "never" runs out of data.

Since release 0.0.2, there is a delay of 500 ms for the above reason. Other products buffer even more, but I don't like waiting two seconds on a channel switch. If you like to experiment, grep the source for '::usleep(500000)' and choose a higher value. Don't go to high, to not have VDR's ring buffer overflow.

Sometimes, there is still not enough data buffered. In that case, just hit pause in xine's GUI and after a second press play again. That should lead to a smooth playback.

the fact that the osd is overlaying itself when the x axis
is smaller than ~640 does look like a known limitation,
but i have so far not read about it, so i mention it.
That's a matter of xine too. xine blends the OSD data into the stream image at it's native resolution and then scales the picture to the correct aspect ratio. That's why the OSD appears at different widths for different channels. That the OSD wraps is a bug in the xine's blending code. I've already sent a patch to the xine developers, that also improves color blending (see http://home.vr-web.de/~rnissl/device0-4.png for an example), but the patch is currently in review.

i'm using: vdr 1.2.1/1.2.2, xine-lib-cvs and xine-ui-cvs
from the first xine plugin 0.0.1 release day, dvb-1.0.0
You really should update to vdr-1.2.5 and dvb-2003.09.05. Especially the later has fixes for broken recordings like http://home.vr-web.de/~rnissl/001-1.png.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl