[vdr] Re: Anyone using SoundBlaster cards for AC3?

Hallo Juha,
am Freitag, 3. Oktober 2003 um 16:39 hast du folgendes geschrieben:

J> So, I now assume I got the previous part straight and need a connecting
J> cable between the two cards. I've soldered a connector between the dvb
J> card and soundcard, but I haven't tried it out yet. I connected the J1
J> pin 4 (spdif) and pin 10 (ground) as seen in the link below, to the
J> soundcard connector that says "CD SPDIF".

J> http://www.vdrportal.de/board/portal_vdrinfo.php?site=7&infonr=4&infoln=en&sid=8a18f76e84cca6c6e4a1fc5e3d0d156d

J> Would this be the correct way to make the connections? Again, I assume
J> it is.

Seems to be correct. Would have done it the same way if my Soundcard
had an SPDIF-In.

J> Now, the final thing I have to know is which way to insert the
J> connector to soundcard, since I have no idea which pin in the soundcard
J> is for spdif and which is the ground (its a symmetrical two-pin
J> connector). If I just randomly try it out, do I run at risk of breaking
J> my hardware? Is there a way to know / measure the way it needs to be
J> connected? If I have to test it out, I'd like to do it so that I
J> disconnect the external amplifier so I don't break it, but instead for
J> example record the signal with arecord, or just play it throug my
J> computer speakers.

Well, i really don't know, if you are in danger of risking your
equipment if you give it a try, one way or the other. So I can't
recommend to do this. But I know for sure that if i were in your position I had
already tried how to make the connection (in order to wonder
afterwards why my soundcard is broken;-)

J>  Is this possible, what settings in the alsamixer are
J> essential for doing this?

There should be something like "Digital In" or "Coaxial In" I suppose?
Don't know because I have to set "Capture" to on (hit space) and also
"Aux", but i think its quite different if you use spdif-in. soory

J> This ended up not being the most straighforward question. There are just
J> so many things I'm not sure about. I really appreciate if you can
J> straighten them out even a little bit. Thanks.

hope that helps, but perhaps someone with a direct dvb-spdif to
sb-spdif connection could clarify how the connection between the two
cards has to be made, then you could just try out your alsamixer
controls to find the appropriate control.

hth,
mario

Mario Schellenberger
mailto:schelli@gmx.net