[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] DVD plugin - change of maintainer

On 08 Oct 2003 Sven Goethel <sgoethel@jausoft.com> wrote:

>> > As with older dvd-plugins/libdvdnav versions I had to enable the
>> > experimental multi-threaded-read-ahead cache in the dvdnav lib to
>> > get a smooth replay. Without every now and then the video is
>> > jerky.
>>
>> I'm sorry for my little OT question, but how do one go about to enable this
>> read ahead cache in libdvdnav (1.9)?
>>

> well, there is now a setup entry in dvd-plugin ReadAHead ;-),
> but i do recommend to set it to ZERO, just to avoid memcpy,
> as stated in libdvdnav ..

I think both are not the same. I first tried your readahead
option but even with 10 I have jerky video (some time ago Andreas
said that there are certain dvd drives which cause this problem
e.g. LG).

The multithread readahead seems to use a seperate thread for
reading ahead and thus not blocking vdr while doing so.
Multithread readahead has curred the jerky video with old 1.4
dvdnav too.

Only withdraw of this experimental feature I can see, is that
sometimes in menumode you see a wrong picture for a short time,
but I can live with that if the actual video is perfect.

--
Stefan Huelswitt
huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan