[vdr] Re: vdr and via epia...

Am Freitag, 10. Oktober 2003 12:40 schrieben Sie:
> On Friday 10 October 2003 08:27, Tapio Karinsalo wrote:

> > I am planning to purchase Via Epia motherboard and using it with VDR. Do
> > you guys know which Epia is best for VDR? Is 533 MHz enough power for
> > this purpose? Or should it be more powerful processor? Am I right that
> > with Via Epia motherboard it is possible to get totally silent system?

> I'm also planning to buy one in order to get a totally silent system. I
> have already bought a case with a fanless PSU (netzteil). Search at e-bay
> for : Siemens Fujitsu JETSON. I once found a nice page, where a guy built a
> VDR out of this box. It features a fanlass power supply and has also a
> decent looking. An Epia board should fit perfectly into the case. The case
> itself hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell you whether it really was a good
> choice but I expect it to come tomrrow. I can keep you updated on that
> subject.

> If you want to stay absolutely silent, then you should also consider using
> nfsroot (no harddisks)

What about a Terminal-Solution based on a VIA EPIA?

You can set up a standard-PC with DVBs as server and a VIA EPIA connected by
1000Base-T. As the software runs on the server you don't need any horsepowers
on the Client.

I've set this up myself with a Celeron1100 (3x WinTV Nova-S) as server and
Celeron500 as client. It's quite easy if you use XDMCP and ARTs. So you get
video and sound on the client (ARTs is stereo only, if you want DTS/DD use a
TOSLINK-cable from the server to the surround-system).

Rene