[vdr] Re: LIRC and RH9

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:03:12 +0200
"Vladi" <my.lists@onlinehome.de> wrote:

> Good morning
>
> After six(!) successful months using vdr
> I am under an order by Highest Authority
> to automate start up and shut down procedure and
> get rid of the monitor in the living room.
>
> Up to now I've been doing it by hand
> (root, password, cd to VDR and then running this self made script
>
> /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
> modprobe lirc_serial
> lircd
> runvdr -Pvcd      )
>
> I am doing it according to HS homepage.
> It says to put
> /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
> into /etc/init.d/boot.local
>
> I don't have it in RH9, someone advised me
> to put it in /etc/rc.local
>
> Then
> alias char-major-61 lircd_serial
> into /etc/modules.conf

should be
alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
                      ^^^
rc.local is fine, if you want you can put also the modprobe line you
were using in the command line into it.
I'd suggest using the full path of the commands (/sbin/modprobe,
/usr/local/sbin/lircd) in the rc.local script because it could be
running with a different PATH variable that doesn't include all the
paths you are used to (or, worse, different ones).

Cheers

Mattia