[vdr] Re: Choosing motherboard and CPU

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 03:33:30PM +0200, Sebastian Kemper wrote:
> I command you to buy an Athlon board. I prefer those because they are

Would anobody know if it is possible to use mobile Duron or mobile
Athlon XP-M in a regular full size Socket A ATX motherboard?

That would fix the idle power consumption problem in a very nice way.

I haven't been able to find technical specification about these two mobile
poressors.  Here are two links that are marketing material:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26665B_m
obile_Athlon_XP_white_paper.pdf

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26665B_m
obileAthXP-M_WP_FIN.pdf

What I have found suggests they are Socket A compatible. But
does Socket A compatibility guarantee these processors work on Socket A
motherboards?  The support does not have to be perfect. It enough if
I can boot Linux.

Jarkko Lavinen