[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: Softdevice plugin. Use /dev/fb for output

> I must admit that I'm not familiar with Vidix, so I can't say much how
> the other libraries relate to Vidix, but in general it depends on what
> you want to do and how portable you want to be.

the Vidix library is very hardware depend and there also exists only
a few hardware-drivers. But it was easy to implement (more or less just
copy and paste from an example codelet).

> The most portable way in the PC/Mac world would be based on SDL or
> OpenGL - if you design your code properly then your code will run on all
> cards that are supported by these libraries: this is virtually all
> available hardware in conjuction with all commonly used operating systems.
>
> When you want to let your code run once on 'real SetTopBoxes' then
> DirectFB is probably your first choice.

I think I change to DirectFB...
It shouldn't be a problem to get linux running on a cheap client like a Xbox
or an Mini-ATX MB based system ;-)

> I personally would choose OpenGL for a bigger project - SDL and DirectFB
> for smaller ones. If you are interested I can send you off-list some
> codelets for DirectFB and SDL showing how you can implement this.

Yes, I'm very interested. (Especially how to implement the YUV and ARGB
layer.)

TIA

Roland